Printable picture-based descriptions of pests of concern can be useful for both First Detectors and First Detectors Educators. The NPDN Training and Education Program may occasionally develop photo based documents that can be printed and used for educational sessions.
- Thousand Cankers Disease, Geosmithia morbida
- Dendrolimus spp. and look alikes
- Lymantria spp. and look alikes
- Asian longhorned beetle and look alikes
- Significant Agrilus spp. and look alikes
- NPDN FirstDetector bookmark
Field-based identification guides may be developed by the NPDN or by the NPDN in partnership with other organizations. NPDN provided authorship for the following field-based identification guides:
- Mealybugs and Mealybug Look-Alikes of the Southeastern U.S., 2008
- Pest Thrips of the United States: Field Identification Guide, 2009
The NPDN has partnered with the Regional IPM Centers, USDA-APHIS-PPQ, and NIFA to produce several regional and/or national pest alerts. NPDN was a partner in the following pest alerts.
- Asian Longhorned Beetle, Anoplophora glabripennis
- Brown Dog Tick, Vector for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
- Scirtothrips dorsalis Hood,chilli thrips, castor thrips, assam thrips, yellow tea thrips, strawberry thrips
- Cycad Aulacaspis Scale, Aulacaspis yasumatsui Takagi
- Lobate Lac Scale, Paratachardina lobata (Chamberlin) (Coccoidea: Kerriidae)
- Pink Hibiscus Mealybug, Maconellicoccus hirsutus (Green)
- Plum Pox Virus
- Sudden Oak Death, Phytophthora ramorum
- Tospoviruses (Family Bunyaviridae, Genus Tospovirus)
- Western Bean Cutworm, Striacosta albicosta (Smith)
- Woodboring Insects
LUCID® keys are matrix-based and allow the user to first choose the character or entity for which they are most comfortable. As with any key or identification guide, the key is only as correct as the available species in the key and end-user error is possible. Nonetheless, LUCID® keys provide end-users with a novel, web-friendly alternative to their pest identification or screening. Although many LUCID® keys are designed for more advanced, professional level users, some field-based keys have been released or are scheduled for release over the next several years.
NPDN Master Gardener Wikipages
The NPDN Training and Education Subcommittee has created a page on the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health BugwoodWiki site that provides fact sheets for NPDN Master Gardener training.